Saturday, November 15, 2008

My Favorite Magazine



I have been an avid reader of Bitch magazine since I was a freshman, excuse me, a freshwomen at Mills College in 1996 when they put out their inaugural issue. Before Bitch, I had been crying my eyes out over the demise of Sassy, a teen magazine that I had been reading religiously since the summer after 6th grade. Sassy spoke bluntly about teen sex, drugs, and issues of race and gender and contained offers like "win a free 7" single by Sonic Youth". In other words, it was sooo much cooler than the still stuck in 1955, ironically titled YM (Young and Modern) or the anorexia inducing Seventeen.

Bitch was started by two former Sassy interns who specifically wanted to make a magazine that "Sassy girls" could read as adults. As the tag line states, the focus of the magazine was to create "A feminist response to pop-culture" and to provide a forum for feminist opinion across the spectrum. Because the types of authors vary from issue to issue, the writing style is not static. Although, many might call the magazine academic in its approach to pop culture writing.

http://bitchmagazine.org/

1 comment:

camccune said...

Hmmm...maybe I should give it a try. You make it sound pretty interesting, and Ms. has gotten kind of dull.

Well written, as usual.

10/10